Sunday, December 2, 2012

Anything But a Card Challenge #7 By the Sea

Deck the halls with sailboats and sunsets! Fa la la la la la la la! What?! You've never heard that version???? While others are dreaming of a white Christmas, I'm sharing visions of sunsets and sailing for the current challenge at Anything But a Card.  We are challenging you to share a creation with the theme By the Sea.  This can be anything sea or ocean related, the colors of the sea, marine life, beaches... get the picture? 

I originally thought about doing a vacationing Santa theme, but that lent itself more to a card, which would have been a BIG NO-NO at Anything BUT a Card...  My inspiration came as I was looking for a sentiment stamp for another project and I spied my Sail Away stamp tucked in the 'retired' tote.  I LOVE this image and have always dreamed of spending a day on a sailboat soaking up the sun.  I decided that this image would work well for a little gift for my DD's teacher, who happens to be a man.  Every year we pack tins full of homemade cookies and treats for the teachers and I like to include a little handmade gift as well. I always struggle with the male teachers' gifts and what makes it even more difficult is that this is the same teacher she had in 3rd grade,so I can't 'recycle' my idea from the last time...  I finally decided on a desktop post it note holder and thought the sailing image would work well to dress it up.

 


It was a lot of fun to pull out my pastels again to create the scenery for the sailboat.  This was a pretty simple little project and I enjoyed using some supplies that had been sitting idle for a while!

I hope I have inspired you to join my by the sea and share your creation with us!  Be sure to sail by and check out the rest of the team's fabulous projects too!!

Project Recipe: Cardstock-sahara sand, baja breeze, whisper white, Ink-black stazon, pastels, Stamp Set-Sail Away, Extras-post it notes

12 comments:

  1. This is wonderful Margaret and I am sure the teacher will be delighted at your thoughtfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful little project and doesn't it just make you smile thinking about being on that sailboat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Love the use of the pastels on here and what a wonderful gift this will make. You can sit there all day long, look at the pretty sailboat and just dream!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Tis the season to be sailing, fa-la-la-la...." Too bad that version never made it to the top 10 on Casey Kasem's countdown!!
    Chica Bean, you are a natural painter and the scene you've decorated here makes me want to book a trip with that little travelocity gnome and set sail! OHHHH...did I just inspire a sequel?
    This is perfect and I love seeing your Anything But a Card creations my friend.
    Hugs to you sis..LOL..I can say that now!!!
    me xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You may describe it as simple but it looks anything other than that! I love how you've created the scenery and the colours are perfect. Great gift idea too!
    Juliaxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous- what a thoughtful and beautiful gift...the background is so pretty and soothing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing this Margaret in the sea of Christmas cards right now. It is refreshing and your work with pastels is beautiful!!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great little useful gift he is sure to appreciate, especially with that lovely image to look at this time of year =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Margaret! Congratulations on your WIN in the Visions of Sugarplums Blog Hop at Lisa'sd blog. Enjoy!!!
    Your art is just beautiful, and I hope you will consider stopping by Word Art Wednesday to play along in our challenges. You can check it out here:
    www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.com
    Hope to see you soon, and again....congratulations, and enjoy your prize!
    Karen
    Word Art Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this is so pretty! Great image and coloring!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful pastel background - gorgeous piece... and congratulations on your Sugarplums win!! Thanks so much for your visit and lovely comment over at Words and Pictures!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, so pretty Margaret! It makes me wanna go sit on the beach and watch the sunset!!! That sky is amazing!
    And you definitely inspired me to draw or paint again :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! Thanks for commenting!